The Menominee Building Department supports the safety and quality of life for the residents and visitors of the City of Menominee through enforcement of the Michigan Building Code.
The permitting and inspection process promotes high-quality design standards as well as the conservation, rehabilitation, and reuse of the City’s existing buildings.
Before beginning construction on a building or structure, it is necessary to submit an application in writing to the building official for a building permit. A permit is also required when the use or occupancy of a structure or portion thereof is changed, such as when a vacant building is remodeled for renewed or new use.
Ordinary repairs, which are limited to painting, papering, carpeting, cabinets, counter-tops, and similar carpentry work, do not require a building permit. A building permit is required where repairs involve the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the exit requirements; nor the addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any standpipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical; nor any other work that affects public health or general safety.
Minor repairs or maintenance of electrical systems including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles; the replacement of any minor part that does not alter the approval of installed mechanical equipment or appliances or makes such equipment or appliance unsafe; and the stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent piping, does not require permits. However, when it becomes necessary to remove or replace equipment or piping with new material, the work is considered as new work and permits shall be obtained and inspections made as required for new construction.
For Building and Zoning Questions/Permits
- Application to Work in Public Right of Way (pdf)
- Building Permit Application (pdf)
- Certification of Compliance/Occupation Application (pdf)
- Driveway & Curb Specifications (pdf)
- Fence Planning Rules (pdf)
- Fence-Shed, Zoning-Land Permit Application (pdf)
- Home Occupation Registration Form (pdf)
- Parcel Division Application (pdf)
- Rental Registration Form (pdf)
- Request to Combine Parcels of Land (pdf)
- Re-zoning Application (pdf)
- Roofing-Siding Replacement: 1-2 Family Permit Application (pdf)
- Sidewalk & Driveway Application (pdf)
- Sign Permit Application (pdf)
- Special Use Permit Application (pdf)
- Wall Section Detail Example (pdf)
- ZBA Notice of Appeal Application (pdf)
- Zoning Map (pdf)
Contact Derrick Schultz/Building & Zoning Supervisor at (906) 863-1742.
City of Menominee
2511 10th Street
Menominee, MI. 49858